I often work with Cosplayers or others free of charge because it might be something I creatively really want to do. After all, cosplay shoots really got me into wanting to do more creative portraits. I do accept donations if a cosplayer so chooses but its not expected.
Since I do these shoots for basically nothing, I do have a few requirements that I would prefer followed in working together. Thru the years of experience I have learned that these serve best to make a great shoot and provide a fair agreement.
- Please be on time. Some shoots are really time specific.
- I do want the shoot to be fun for all of us. Some shoots will require preparation depending on what it is. For example I will choose certain location, bring props, etc. I consider this part of the image concept in making more interesting photographic art.
- Please share your ideas with me prior to the shoot or on set.
- Feel free to have ideas via imagery on your phones to share with me. For example poses etc.
- Please do not take pictures with your cell phones during the shoots. That's why I am there. You can take them before or after.
- If you want to do a behind the scene video with your phone that's fine, but don't include me in it. I prefer no behind the scenes video of me working unless it is by my marketing person.
- As creator of the images I hold all copyrights to them. I will use the images on my website or social media outlets.
- You are free to use watermarked images on your website or social media outlets. No images should be online without watermarks. This is for your protection and mine.
- Please do not crop, edit or use any overlays with my work unless consulting me.
- Please tag Photographer Of Life, LLC if you do post them online or social media. I am also on instagram, flicker, deviant art etc.
- I will tag you in any of my postings to whatever accounts you would like. For example your cosplay pages.
- If you don't want me to use an image, please let me know, I typically have no problems complying if for some reason you don't like one of the images I am a very fair person.
- Images used for print or other avenues for self promotion, will most probably be granted if you just ask me. But please obtain a quality version. I don't want pixelated or poor quality images out there representing me or my brand.
- If you need a higher resolution image, I am happy to oblige just let me know. For example, sometimes website or contests require high res.
- Typically I ask for at least 3 - 4 weeks for completed images. However, most times I am already posting images and sneak peeks the same day.
- If you prefer to review and approve images before they are posted online. I respect that and have no problem meeting your request. Just let me know.
- Please provide at least a weeks notice if you are going to reschedule or cancel. I have clients that I might have turned away to do this shoot so it wouldn't be fair to me and my time and I will do the same. I typically won't cancel unless I am very ill, or something is an emergency. I have not cancelled a shoot yet.
Tips for amazing shoots and great images:
- Inspect your costumes before your shoot. They might need to be ironed or steamed. Less wrinkles the better the pictures.
- Good makeup goes a long way. It makes editing much easier.
- Completed costumes. Please have your costumes complete for our shoot, otherwise let's reschedule.
After the shoot
Posting images to social media: When you share your images on FB, you are marketing yourself. Take some of these notes into consideration. A blog post by Ginny Di. 4 reasons your cosplay marketing isn't working.